On Saturday 29 February 2020 08:05:34 Robert Murphy wrote:

> Gene we can go the other way Raspbian on x86
>
> https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/install-raspberry-pi-desktop-x8
>6

And thats scary, dragging in yet another architectures warts.

You see, one of the things I have tried to avoid as I walked through the
thickets presented by quite a host of architectures over the last 40
years, was anything that resembled the '86 architectures. There were
many that I considered as having a superior way of getting things done,
each of which also had its warts. Warts which ultimately assured its
downfail in the long view and which later versions sometimes fixed, but
by then the damage was done and they were never considered for new
designs.

For what we want to do, the armhf's seem like a pretty logical next step,
getting more done in less time at almost battery powered power
consumptions. So I am exploring that path, and I think fairly
successfully at the moment. Had I the sheckles and time I would convert
my other 3 machines to rpi4b brains but that would take around $500 a
machine by the time I was properly moving the iron on each. As is my
electrical heater has a somewhat reduced load because there is also an
approximately 400 watt heat load from idling computers. Most are rigged
to powerdown its machine if not in instant use but that just makes the
heater work harder. The pi on the sheldon draws about 10 watts if motion
is disabled. Its monitor draws less than that when blanked, 11 watts
running.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis