On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 at 19:47, Chris Morley <chrisinnana...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If it is easy enough to keep support of an old distro then why not?

We are being squeezed at both ends, though. LinuxCNC relies on tools
(and versions of tools) that don't work on the latest OS versions.
Whereas the older OS versions don't necessarily work with the latest tools.
Ubuntu Precise uses gcc 4.6. That implements C++98 by default. C++17
is almost a different language.

And we will have to move to Python3 at some point. The legacy OSes all
have Py3, but whether the associated things (PyGTK etc) will work on
those systems with Py3 is not something I know.

And it is hard to test on all the platforms. I spent much of today
setting up test systems for Precise and Wheezy, to go along with my
triple-boot hardware testing machine that runs Mint, Buster and
Stretch. The buildbot is currently testing builds for 20 different
combinations of OS and realtime. (and I would like to see Buster RTAI
added)

--
atp
lunatics."