Hi Rod,

On Samstag, 16. Mai 2020, 08:01:41 CEST Rod Webster wrote:
> Now we have both State tags and the hal_port pin type in master branch,
>, it would allow easy access to the state tags from a custom component
> instead of letting state tags sulk in the EMC folder.

don't know, if I got you right - to me it sounds as if you oppose the state
tags.

>From my point of view, state tags are for communication with frontend / UI,
whereas hal is the communication with hardware / drivers.
So state tags are far from being complete. But I don't think, that they are
equivalent or should be. No. There might be information, that will be
important for the hardware-side and be of little interest for the frontend
side.
I think, if NML is the communication portal of linuxcnc to other software,
than an UI should not have to bother with hal.
An UI may do that to give the users another taste of UI, but tools for hal
exists and work, why reinvent the wheel?
So I appreciate state tags and would like them to become more complete to be
able to offer all informations around machine state ...

May be, my point of view does not reflect the state of linuxcnc.
But that's what I think and would like to become true one day :)

cheers Reinhard