Hi Andy!

>I am happy to build a new kernel + RTAI deb for the LinuxCNC repo if
>you think that 5.3.1 is worth it?

I think that boils down to how important it is that it may crash after several
hundred or a few thousand runs. If the abs.0 stress test is enough to steer you
away from RTAI then it would be best to wait for the 5.4 kernel support. The
5.4 kernel is no guarantee that it would fix it either but it's another thing
to try. LinuxCNC requires some changes to the hal drivers between kernel
releases so I'd probably need help adjusting some of the parport/hostmot
drivers to 5.4. The patches for LinuxCNC are usually pretty small to support
new kernels and I can usually get most of them.

I'd also probably expect a few issues with the build bot as it runs quite a lot
of tests in excessive loops but these should go pretty unnoticed on a
production system. I was able to execute `runtests` several times in the
command line without any issue, but the abs.0 stress test still crashes
sometimes:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
source "${HOME}/linuxcnc-dev/scripts/rip-environment"
for PASS in $(seq 1 1000); do
    echo starting pass "${PASS}"
    realtime start
    halcmd loadrt threads
    halcmd loadrt abs
    halcmd addf abs.0 thread1
    halcmd start
    halcmd show thread
    halrun -U
done

Other than that, I have no problems. It's up to you!

Alec