Good evening all,

Recently on the forum turbostew brought up an issue that I've noticed in
the past (in PathPilot) where on large cut files, the backplot starts to
turn back to white at the beginning of the previewed cut paths.  Thread
<https://forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/41566-seems-like-a-buffer-size-limit-on-toolpath-highlighting?start=0#200370>

What is actually happening is the max number of points is reached and the
oldest points are falling off as the new points are added.  Since the
number of MAX_POINTS is defined in emcmodule.cc, this would affect all
guis.  emcmodule.cc L1981
<https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/131761f462ff0194a5403500f03f1f47c5899896/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/extensions/emcmodule.cc#L1981>

Back in June of 2009 Jeff Epler lowered this value from 100000 to 10000,
and unfortunately the commit doesn't give any details as to why.  Jeff's
Commit
<https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/commit/13e76953aaa61da0c560418cfbc117436d8c9f38>

I wonder if anyone has insight to:
1. Why MAX_POINTS was lowered?
2. If I increased this back to 100000 or even 1000000, are there any
potential negative side effects (I didn't see anything obvious in the brief
testing I did)?

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. the way the backplotter "unwinds" on the beginning of the preview
while adding to the current points of the cut path reminds me of the old
computer game "Snake".  So I wonder if I increase the length of the snake,
is there potential for it to "crash" into itself.  🙂