Since the 5.10 kernel (eg Bullseye) and above, there has been an issue with
excessive network latency with the Debian RT kernel and Realtek network
interfaces with Mesa ethernet cards. When it bites, it causes a hm2_eth
"error finishing read" and disables the mesa card.  By avoiding realtek
NIC's a whole swathe of small portable industrial PC's can no longer be
used with linuxcnc. A resolution for this issue needs to be found before
2.9 rolls out or there will be massive support issues.

This issue is restricted to the debian environment. Installing a compiled
kernel or running on a non-debian distribution solves the issue (I tried
arch-linux)

By default Debian uses the r8169 network driver for all realtek NIC's but
provides a r8168-dkms driver which should solve the issue if installed if
supported hardware is present. However,  it appears that when this is
installed, the network latency is rarely resolved. I suspect it is because
of a buggy driver in Debian. Some people (PCW, JT et al) have resorted to
compiling the kernel from pristine sources.

I have finally been able to compile a 6.1 version of the PREEMPT_RT kernel
and headers which I have stored in Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10uwGg5RvZDDlLtQ8BZhM3At_gODk16na?usp=sharing

By installing the headers, the image, the R8168-dkms driver followed by
setting isolcpus=2,3, the issue seems to be resolved on my J1900 hardware
but more testing is required.

Refer this forum thread
https://forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/46911-mesa-hm2-hm2-7i96s-0-error-finishing-read?start=190#259341

Its my recommendation that the 2.9 iso installer includes a custom kernel
similar to what I've built.
Consideration should also be given to deploying a custom kernel with the
Debian package now on bookworm.

Of course a better solution would be to get the Debian kernel developers to
fix their buggy implementation of the linux kernel and the realtek network
drivers. I have previously reported this issue as a bug on Debian. It might
be helpful if others could add their feedback to the issue

Rod Webster

VMN®

www.vmn.com.au

Ph: 1300 896 832