Interesting, I was taught this increases the risk of duplicate variable use:

IE:
void some_fcn(){
 int i=0;
  for(i=50; i<n;i--)){// foo}
}

void some_other_fcn(){
 int i=0;
  for(i=0; i<n;i++)){ some_fcn();}

 return; // Never gets called
}

I know different languages will declare a new variable in memory, but I try to
keep similar paradigms between languages to not risk issues of scope.

For what its worth, I’ve actually stopped running linuxcnc on a realtime kernel
since 5.14 for most of my development machines, and they’re running better than
expected with sub 1ms cycle times on an i5-6600.
Both Ethercat and MESA cards have been happy with it. I sometimes get odd
requests of “hey can you make a quick test for [pipetting|camera
tracking|validate sensors|test motors|XYZ]”. That are only setup for a week, so
I don’t bother compiling the RT kernel for a quick test setup.

I made this component for 3 unique mills with similar 5 axis heads which are in
production running 5.15.129-rt67 (pre-empt), which Ethercat wanted some of the
newer kernels for interfacing with the slave card. So at the of the day, if it
needs to be changed for backwards compatibility so be it

Chad Woitas | Automation Developer
[cid:image001.png@01D7F7D7.6E1AFA10]

RMD Engineering Inc.<http://www.rmd-engineering.com/> | Saskatoon Machine Works
Ltd.<http://www.smw.sk.ca/> | Scientific Instrumentation
Ltd.<http://www.sil.sk.ca/>

The information contained in this message is confidential or protected by law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete
this message.
Any unauthorized copying of this message or unauthorized distribution of the
information contained herein is prohibited.