Hello,

That was quite a thread I have triggered, feels a bit like the Debian mailing
lists :)

> Von: "andy pugh" <bodge...@gmail.com>

> Why do people keep reinventing this particular wheel? We distribute a
> Pi SD card image via www.linuxcnc.org.

I just went for it and it does not work for the RPi5 - stating that the device
tree would not be found and that the bcm2712-rpi-5-b.dtb cannot be found. The
noisy fan was likely a consequence. The system the loops over that message and
does not come up. This is the 2.9.1 version.

These kind of hardware dependencies I expect to also find for other small
boards, so I would not mind to get some confidence to compile the RT preempt
kernel on various platforms. I'll see how far I get without cross-compiling. We
would then add a section somewhere in our documentation how to compile the RT
kernel whenever that is not provided by the hardware vendor.

Best,
Steffen