Yup,

I am now running on the screen. many thanks guys

I download the zip file and extracted the files
running autogen was good from the start
configure coughed on a few files. finding the corresponding files in
synaptic cleared the coughing.
make also needed a few files from synaptic to make it happy.
now with 8  or 10 files out of synaptic it runs seemingly just fine. very
few problems
I have not run any tests yet

many thanks guys
Stuart