In article: <9702048574.aa857494...@iris.scitex.com>
richard_c...@iris.scitex.com writes:

>      Greetings,
>
>      Brief Background:  The printing equipment we build runs best when
>      the main power is left on 24 hours a day.  This is because when
>      not in use our printers run purging cycles every two hours and a
>      lengthy cleaning cycle once over night every night.
>
>      Question:  At our company there have been various rumors and
>      myths circulating over the years that, especially in certain
>      European countries,  certain utilities, municipalities, or
>      countries require by law that all power be shut off when a
>      commercial building is unoccupied.  This would be most likely to
>      happen over weekends or over holidays.  Can anyone in this group
>      confirm or deny this and, if true, how pervasive it is.
>
>      Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
>
>      Richard Cass
>      IRIS Graphics, Inc.
>      Bedford, MA
>      USA

I've not heard of this as a law in Britain, but I believe some insurance
companies insist that all unnecessary equipment is turned off over
night.  A sister company to us some years ago had a fire, and I was told
that the insurers subsequently insisted that the night security man
switch every thing off at the wall plug during his rounds: anything that
had to be left on had to have a specific notice affixed to the plug.

The rule was not imposed at our location: what with time clocks, file
servers, UPSs and things, there would have been special "don't turn off"
notices everywhere.  Overall, I'd say it would be impractical to have
legislation of this type, as there would be too many exceptions to the
rule, like your self cleaning printers.  Not that that would put the EC
bureaucrats off... have you heard about the straight banana directive?
--
Mark Hone

  Wellman CJB Limited                   Email: m...@cjbdev.demon.co.uk
  Airport Service Road                    Tel: +44 (0)1705 664911
  Portsmouth, Hampshire                   Fax: +44 (0)1705 697864
  PO3 5PG, ENGLAND