Well, I've been reading the responses, and all I can
say is if you are dealing with a product that will
absolutely draw a constant rate of power for all time,
then you should see no variation *from the product*
unless of course you're in some varying unreliable
environment, or the product and/or something on
the product is mechanically moving.

But as soon as you begin to use digital signals that
gate/enable devices, refresh memory, poll lines, read
and write to and from memory, etc... you move from
perfectly repeatable periods of signals to non-perfect
non-repeatable periods and open yourself up to all
sorts of effects - beat freqs, image freqs, etc, and
ultimately varying power at some level the resolution
of which is ultimately decided strictly by the signals
involved and what they are doing.

Just the issue as regards to variation of amplitude,
this indicates to me and I'm sure everyone here obviously
varying power for whatever reason. Now, I've seen at
least what I think you're describing on equipment.
But over time, it could be correlated to all sorts
of things going on inside the device.  That involved a
very detailed analysis of the product.

It's my gut feeling to doubt that it's truly *random*
variation of amplitude, but you of course would know
the answer to that much better than I and of course
does not in any way mean that I doubt what you are
seeing.  I have seen some strange stuff in my time.

There's my 2 cents...

Regards, Doug