From: DouglasScott on Fri, Aug 15, 1997 8:30 AM
Subject: RE: User warnings on RS232 connections (IEC950)
To: cwel...@grtpa01.grt.ch.etn.com

Chris,

We do not take any special actions re: interface connectors on our products. We
put in the user manual a pix (drawing) of the connectors and describe what they
are for. In our case, either proprietary RS-422, SCSI or remote control. We
define what the pins are for each connector. We do say that shielded cables are
required and we usually provide either the RS-422 or SCSI cables. We do not
provide the remote control cable. Where we bring the supplies directly to the
connector (5v, 12v) we fuse these to stay within our requirements for '950.

We do not do any warning labels and have not given much thought to telling
people not to connect unsafe stuff to our products. I guess that has always
been assumed and implied. Not in 14 years have I ever had a safety agency raise
the question you did about telling others what not to connect or that it should
maintain '950 requirements. Interesting point.

Regards,
Scott Douglas
Principal Compliance Engineer
ECRM Incorporated