Scott,

MACHINERY DIRECTIVE
I don't know which Directive your new product falls under, but the Machinery
Directive has specific exclusions dealing with demo products, "Whereas, for
trade fairs, exhibitions, etc., it must be possible to exhibit machinery
which does not conform to this Directive; whereas, however, interested
parties should be properly informed that the machinery does not conform and
cannot be purchased in that condition;".

Article 2(3) of the Machinery Directive also states, "At trade fairs,
exhibitions, demonstrations, etc., Member States shall not prevent the
showing of machinery or safety components which do not conform to the
provisions of this Directive, provided that a visible sign clearly indicates
that such machinery or safety components does not conform and that they are
not for sale until they have been brought into conformity by the manufacturer
or his authorized representative established in the Community.  During
demonstrations, adequate safety measures shall be taken to ensure the
protection of persons."  (89/392/EEC as ammended by 93/44/EEC).

In addition, the European Commission (DGIII) also published a Machinery
Working Party, 89/392/EEC Committee, Document 93.6 rev. 1 specifically
answering this question:
"PQ.53  If a manufacturer installs machinery on the premises of a potential
customer for him to evaluate it but the machinery is not sold and remains the
property of the manufacturer, does it have to bear the CE Marking and meet
the other requirements applicable to it?
PA.53 This is a typical case because as long as the machinery remains the
property of the manufacturer and as long as the operators are the
manufacturer's employeed the machinery has not been placed on the market; as
soon as the satisfied customer takes delivery the machinery has to comply
with the Directive, bear the CE Marking, etc.
The manufacturer has to make sure that a notice is affixed in the vicinity
saying that the machinery is not in conformity with the Directive (Article
2(3)).
The situation is different if the manufacturer has supplied the machinery for
evaluation by the potential customer. In this case, the machinery has to be
considered as placed on the market (handed over provisionally but handed over
all the same) and placed in service in accordance with Article 2(2) and must
be entirely in conformity with the Directive.

EMC DIRECTIVE
Although this issue is not specifically addressed in the text of the EMC
Directive, the general philosophy above is fairly consistently applied for
products falling under the EMC Directive.   Specifically, if a product is
'placed on the market' or 'put into service', it would require to be fully
compliant with the EMC Directive.   The position is backed up by a European
Commission's publication, "Guidelines on the application of Council Directive
89/336/EEC of 3 May 1989 on the Approximation of the Laws of the Member
States relating to Electromagnetic Compatibility" Brussels, 25 & 26 October
1993.  (I believe a more recent draft or perhaps even the final updated of
this Guidelines has just been released and is even posted in the RCIC in
electronic format, http://uc.com/bin/dbml.dll?template=rcic/emcguide).

Article 2.1 of this Guideline hadn't changed too much and it notes
specifically that "The placing of a product on the market does not concern:
   - the disposal of the product from the manufacturer to his authorized
representative established within
   - the Community who is responsible for the manufacturer for ensuring
compliance with the Directive;
   - importation into the Community market for the purpose of re-exportation,
i.e., under the processing traffic system
   - the manufacture of the product in the Community market for the purpose
of exportation to a third country;
   - the display of the product at trade fairs and exhibitions.

SUMMARY (PERSONAL COMMENT/INTERPRETATION):
Based on the above sources, my comment is that as long as the product in
question is not being placed on the market (meaning the system is not sold
and is being demo'd by the manufacturer's personnel only) or put into
service, and a notice stating that product is not in conformity, you may ship
a non-CE Marking product.  There's no maximum time period that I am aware for
a system to be considered as a display at the trade fair and no specific
paperwork other than the notice needed.   Depending on your product, it may
have initial problems entering the EU, so a letter or declaration stating
that the product is only intended to be a demo product and will not be placed
on the market operated or put into service, may be a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tin