From: sdouglas@anetMHS (DouglasScott){MHS:sdoug...@ecrm.com}
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 1997 8:49 AM
To: dmckean@anetMHS ("Doug McKean"){MHS:dmck...@paragon-networks.com};
JEichner; bceresne
Cc: emc-pstc@anetMHS ("emc-pstc"){MHS:emc-p...@ieee.org}
Subject: RE: EMC Design Question for a Backplane ...

 ---------------[ Content-type: text/plain; name=Message Body
]--------------
Doug,

I have had the same "discussion" with both the designers and the board
layout
uy. Turns out that our standard proctice is to punch holes for each
connector
in. The holes are usually 0.100" on the surface layer and 0.130" on the
inner
ayers. The result is overlapping holes that end up leaving a large hole
in the
inner layer. The edge of this large hole usually looks serrated due to
the not
completely overlapping holes. Obviously this look will change depending
what p
wers, grounds, signals are connected on any given level.

We have had occaision to go back and modify this approach. This usually
happen
 when the designer finds a performance issue during development or when I
have
a compliance problem. In that case we have modified the specific
connector loc
tion, sometimes having to create new pcb layout library components to
make thi
 happen. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

We also use other means to address this issue. Any signal to a connector
over
0 MHz usually gets a dedicated connector or a coaxial type. Any signal
from 2
o 10 MHz gets board routing and etch shielding treatments and sometimes
filter
ng. Anything less than 2 MHz gets nothing except as required.

Regards,
Scott Douglas
Principal Compliance Engineer
ECRM Incorporated