Could someone please explain the key issues in the VDE 565-2 standard
relative to inductor performance.

"Radio interference suppression devices; radio interference chokes up to
16A & protective wire chokes 16 up to 36A"

I am in the process of selecting inductors as the  first stage of an AC
power filter to protect against surge.  Picture an inductor in series in
both hot and neutral followed by X and Y caps, followed by common mode
choke etc.   In addition up front there may be a MOV line to line - I was
hoping to avoid this but so far it doesn't look promising.  This filter
needs to withstand the overvoltage conditions of at least installation
class 2 and perhaps as high as class 4 as per IEC 1000-4-5.  This would be
2KV normal mode and 4KV common mode (1.2 by 50 uSec.).

In the USA market I have found numerous suppliers of safety X and Y caps
with the VDE 565-1 but next to nothing on VDE 565-2 rated inductors.  I
tried Siemens but from the response they do not have much call for these
parts.   It appears that the USA suppliers such as ACT, Coil Craft etc.
don't get requests for this standard either.

Why is this?

Would this rating/recognition be required to gain overall product VDE or
TUV approval?

Without any standard guidance (so far) I have considered the following
issues in selecting an inductor:
Current ratting - steady state
Saturation current - under surge condition
Inductance
Impedance versus frequency plots
Voltage withstand
Joule rating (temperature, Safety issues)

I have started to model with Pspice the circuit and the intended exposure
to gain some insight into the expected exposures to the inductor.   It
appears with the low frequency nature of surge that one would need a rather
high inductor value to be effective.   In competitive designs I have seen
series inductors ranging from 200 uH to 6 mH!   I realize that an AC front
end has to deal with many different immunity and emission  issues.

If you can shed some light on where to start in this analysis or what
relevance VDE 565-2 lends to the picture it  would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris Wells
Sr Des. Eng
Cutler Hammer