I am forwarding this question on behalf of one of our clients.  Please
forgive the lack of detail in some areas.  CE marking is not within the
normal scope of my responsibilities, so my awareness of the specific
requirements is not great.  I would appreciate clarification of some of
these issues so that we can provide the information to my client in the
early stages of their design evaluation.  It is my understanding that they
are working with a US-based lab for portions of this work, but are not
confident that they are being provided with accurate information regarding
what requirements may exist to achieve CE marking of the equipment.

My company is working with a manufacturer that is intending to send a piece
of equipment to Ireland for the first time.  The equipment is intended to be
installed in a non-classified location, however it uses flammable liquid
(hazardous) process chemicals (details unavailable at this time).  I am
under the impression that the manufacturer plans to assemble a Technical
Construction File in order to demonstrate conformance with the applicable
requirements of the pertinent CE directives.

At this time, they intend to demonstrate compliance with the applicable
portions of the Low Voltage, Machinery and EMC directives.  Due to the
hazardous chemical issues, it has also been suggested that conformance with
94/009 EEC may be required.

I would appreciate it if anyone can provide me with guidance on whether this
approach is reasonable or whether alternatives need to be pursued.  Also if
there are specific pitfalls that this manufacturer may encounter, please
indicate where those may be, as well.

If you require additional detail in order to assist my client with this
matter, please let me know what information you require and I will pass the
request on to my client.

Michael Garretson
Sr. Compliance Engineer
Electro-Test, Inc.