The third edition of IEC 60446 "Basic and safety principles for
man-machine interface, marking and identification -
Identification of conductors by colours or numerals"  is at the
FDIS (Final Draft International Standard) stage, with voting
terminating on December 15. There is "parallel voting" for
acceptance by CENELEC as EN 60446. The document
number (for anyone interested) is 16/377/FDIS.

The FD states that "green-and-yellow" SHALL be used for
identifying protective conductors; but there is a note stating
that "in the USA, Canada, and Japan, ..green....is used
as equivalent to ...green-and-yellow".

It also states "where a circuit includes a neutral or mid-point
conductor,...the colour used ...shall be blue. In order to avoid
confusion with other colours, it is recommended to use an
unsaturated colour blue, called here LIGHT BLUE".
But again there is a note "In the USA, Canada and Japan,
...white or natural grey for the mid-wire or neutral conductor
is used as replacement for...light blue".

It also states "AC-phase conductors. The colours black
and brown are PREFERRED for AC-phase conductors
of systems."        My capitals !!
DOESN'T SEEM TO BE A WELL WRITTEN STANDARD.
I wonder how the USA are going to vote ??

In the UK, for 3 phase wiring, we use red, yellow, and
blue for the 3 phases, black for neutral, and
green/yellow for earth. For single phase wiring, we
use brown for line and light blue for neutral, and
green/yellow for earth. (It used to be red for line
and black for neutral).

Maybe some the other "Europeans" out there can
tell us what they do. I have found a "European style"
3 phase cord in a catalogue - the colours are blue,
brown, black, black, green-yellow !!

John Crabb, Product Safety Engineer,
NCR Financial Solutions Group Ltd, Dundee, Scotland.