Hello Parviz:  One way to verify that your supplier is in compliance to the
Bellcore specifications is to ask for a Certificate of Conformance (C of C),
stating compliance to these requirements.  The more specific you are the
better.  As suppliers of magnetics to the telecommunications industry, many of
our customers request this.  We often need to supply them with the mass of
flammable polymeric mass, and indicate all of the components (in our case
tapes, plastics, etc.), quantities, and whether or not they are individually in
compliance.

The Similarity between the Bellcore and UL requirements is that Bellcore relies
in part on the UL ratings.  For example, (clause 4.2.3 of GR-63-CORE), tapes
must be UL 510 flame retardant, foamed polymers must be UL 94 HF1 or better,
plastics must be UL 94V-1 or better, etc.  They must also have an LOI (Oxygen
Index) of 28% or greater as determined by ASTM D 2863-77.

For information technology equipment, UL 1950 generally requires a UL 94V-2
rating (not as stringent as Bellcore).

For cables and other things, other UL, IEEE, IEC, ANSI, CSA, etc. standards may
be called out.

For electronic components, rather than verifying the flame retardency of the
materials, the component needle flame test may be performed.  You will still
need to verify that they are building the components with the same materials
that you had it tested with.

Hope this helps,

Mel Pedersen                            Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer             Phone:  (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom.anza.com  Fax:  (605) 886-6752