Pryor -

The 1997 version of the standard cannot be used as sefl-certification
standard until it is referenced in the  Official Journal (OJ).

The idea was that the OJ would list the standard and also list the date
of withdrawal (dow) of conflicting standards (in this case the 1992
edition), effectively giving a transition period.  If the OJ does not
give a dow then I assume that the DOW listed in the standard will be used
to define the end of the transition period.

During the transition period, either standard can be used for
self-certification of a device.  After the transition period, only the
1997 version can be used.

So, in answer to your questions:

>I am getting conflicting opinions on the effectivity of EN50082-1:1997.
>
>the dop is 1998-03-01
>
>the dow is 2001-07-01
>
>One opinion is that all NEW products released after the dop (1998-03-01)
>must meet the 1997 version.

Not in my opinion - I believe that the EMC Directive treats each product
as it is placed "on the market" as a NEW product.  Also the dop of the
standard cannot be used to determine whether or not it can be used for
the EMC Directive, it depends on the OJ.

>A second opinion is that NEW products may meet the 1992 version until the
>dow (2001-07-01).

Depending on the dow listed in the OJ, this is correct (in my opinion)

>It is generally agreed that existing products have until the dow
>(2001-07-01) to meet the 1997 version.

Correct (in my opinion)

>I would appreciate and clarification.
>
>Best Regards