David,

Ah!!  I see.

Kevin's original query asked about "attenuation."  I interpreted that as
signal attenuation and I fired it off to my colleague Ted, since that is
his bag (signal integrity).  But, perhaps you are right and Kevin was
really inquiring about shielding attenuation, i.e., attenuation of the
inside fields as they try to get out and vice versa) not attenuation of
the signal.  In that case, you are absolutely correct, the parameter of
interest is surface transfer impedance, Zt, which is a function of
frequency and braid construction.

As a practical matter, there will be very little difference in surface
transfer impedance (hence "shielding effectiveness) between 85% and 90%
optical coverage.  Theoretically, there will be more difference at high
frequencies than at low frequencies, but it probably isn't  a
significant difference.

Jim Knighten
Dr. Jim Knighten
NCR