Dear Mr. Eichner,

AFAIK, a "pan-European electrical code" similar to the NEC should exist.

It is the CENELEC Harmonization Document HD 384 "Electrical Installations of
Buildings" (which is available in the three "normal" languages of CENELEC,
namely, English, German and French).

As an Italian electric power engineer I am aware of *at least* four national
European "electrical codes" which are "harmonized" with the above-mentioned
HD 384, namely, the Italian CEI 64-8, the German DIN VDE 0100, the French NF
... and the British BS ... (sorry for not remebering by heart the codes of
the last two).

This not to mention the International Electrotechnical Committee (IEC) 364
"Electrical installations of buildings" (on which the European HD 384 is
based).

As a matter of fact, the NEC is much more detailed than the IEC 364, yet the
US "standard-writers" care not to set in the NEC clauses which are in
conflict with IEC 364. (The National Committee of the USA in the IEC
commonly votes explictly in favour of the publication of the IEC 364 Parts
and Chapters ...)

However I do not understand what an "electrical code" analogous to the NEC
(therefore dealing with electrical *installations*) may have to do with
rules that should apply to electrical *equipment*.

Said in another way, I do not think you will find in HD 384 nor in IEC 364
rules on wiring of "motor driven units". For pieces of equipment, standards
exist like the IEC 950 viz., UL 1950 (for ITE), the IEC 204 and the
corresponding CENELEC EN for machines, etc., etc.

or am I completely wrong because the NEC applies also to equipment? Should
this be the case, I would like to be confirmed.

Finally is the "CEC", the Canadian Electrical Code? if yes, how much is it
"harmonized" with the NEC? does it deal only with *installations* or also
with *equipment*? (B.t.w., also the National Committee of Canada in the IEC
commonly votes explictly in favour of the publication of the IEC 364 Parts
and Chapters ...)

My personal feeeling is that the differences are much smaller than one would
think of (aren4t Ohm and Maxwell laws the same at both sides of the
Atlantic?). Only a bit of patience is needed to get used to the different
jargons ...

Thank you from a "low frequency" member for any answer he would get!

Canio Dichirico