I'd like to get the current info regarding user instructions and all
requirements that may exist for translation into local member-state
languages for certain directives of the CE Mark.  My research so far
indicates that:

  Machinery Directive: the directive states that instructions must exist in
one EU language, and when ultimately placed into use, the original
instructions must also be accompanied by a translation into the local
language.  In other words, for most of the EU two sets of user instructions
are required whenever equipment subject to the MD is placed into use.  This
seems clear.

  Low Voltage Directive: this directive does not speak to user instruction
translations; unless, a particular annexed safety standard has explicit
user information requirements?

  EMC Directive: this directive does not speak to user instruction
translations.

  German Deviation to EN 60950: known as Annex ZC 1.7.14, a local
deviation, requires translation of maintenance instructions into German.

My application is primarily lab, measurement, and control equipment
(largely board/module level devices) under the EMC/LVD, with some interest
in the MD since our newest motion products may easily end up embedded in
machinery applications.  The MD applications are integrated and resold by
other parties, which I believe shifts the translation burden to the
integrator anyway.  Otherwise, I suspect that translation requirements are
basically local laws and are independent of the CE Mark Directives, except
for the MD of course.

Thanks and Regards,
Eric Lifsey
Compliance Engineer