Dear Eric,

I do not think that you should interpret the list as mentioned below as a list
of equipment falling under the EMC-directive. It is a list showing which
apparatus might get disturbed by a not-EMC apparatus, and showing the relative
importance of the EMC-directive related interference problems. This list is
related to the Essential Requirements, and when the interference of an
apparatus must be judged USING ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS -thus by a competent
body- their investigation will be directed towards the prevention of
interference to apparatus on this list.

Educational apparatus show up here as a victim of EMC not as the cause.

Educational equipment is however enumerated in the Guidelines, with the
exception for studying Electro-magnetic phenomena in educational, research and
training.

They will however generate interference too, and as ALL electric and electronic
apparatus have to fulfill essential requirements, educational equipment does
too.

However many educational equipment is used to show electronic principles and
theory of operation, and is therefore constructed with an open architecture,
often in the form of building blocks.

Resistors, transistors meters, on a low level of integration and f.a. full
microprocessor systems, FM-modulators, data acquisition boards etc at a high
level of integration.

There is no way in which interference from this kind of set up can be
inherently prevented.

The combination of misc. blocks is clearly some kind of experiment, very much
related to the proto-type phase in an industrial environment. To my opinion in
both applications there is some educational/learning function in the set up,
and both relate to the same practical problems in application of the directive.

The GUIDE to the EMC-directive  (available on my website
http://www.cetest.nl/features.htm in WORD format) excludes experiments form
radio-amateurs if non-commercial. This is clearly not the route for educational
systems.

There are 2-3 other ways of showing exclusion from the directive

-     the educational building blocks are shown to be a component , having no
direct function
- the educational equipment has a EM studying function ( electronics is just a
special case of EM-phenomena) , although this is clearly on the edge and was
certainly not the authors had in mind (5.2.9)
- the educational set up is not a finished product.    (direct function is
undefined)  3.7

Your second question regarding the definition of an experiment, becomes easy
now:
an experiment is a not-finished product.

The reasons, as shown before should NOT be applied to any educational apparatus
with a clear and definite function, such as demonstration voltmeters,
demonstration computers, and has been intended to show a way of producing
electronic or mixed technology KIT type equipment, used to show many different
principles in an educational environment.

Let me know what you think (group members too )

Regards,

Gert Gremmen

==
CE-test, qualified testing,
Consultancy, Compliance tests for EMC and Electrical Safety
15 Great EMC-design tips available !
Visit our site  :  http://www.cetest.nl
The Dutch Electronics Directory http://www.cetest.nl/electronics.htm
==