To All,

Thanks to all who responded for your views and experiences regarding EMI
phenomena related to fiber optics.

You confirmed my intuition.  I do not have first hand experience with these
beasts, so this gives me ammunition in dealing with problems early as we get
into this type circuitry.  I hope to get my organization to "see the light."
(Pun is intended!)

The "dirty little secret" of fiber optics is that rather than solving all
EMI problems, as advertised, they have their fair share of EMI issues.  This
appears to be especially true for modern very high data rate digital fiber
optic links, such as Fibre Channel and others.

I expect that the legend of fiber optics was born 10-15 years ago from
experience with slow speed analog fiber optic links.  (The legend being that
use of fiber optics eliminated all EMI problems.)  From this legend, it
would appear that developers of fiber optic connectors, electronic modules,
and even systems employ engineers who are good at design of optics, but who
are "electromagnetically challenged."   Stories indicate that normal good
EMI design practices at the PCB level are not always followed in fiber optic
module  design.

This info will quite a jolt to many in my company.

Regards to all,

Jim

Dr. Jim Knighten                e-mail: jim.knigh...@sandiego.ncr.com
Senior Consulting Engineer