Dear group

I developing BLDC (Brushless DC) motor, which is operated 310VDC by
IGBT inverter circuit.
According to UL standard 1004, motor has clearance 6.4mm between
motor coil and metal enclosure at over 300V. In my experience the
most important factor of clearance is transient voltage so I think if
I use surge suppressor or varistor than can reduce clearance between
that parts. Is it right?
Does anyone have some good idea about how can reduce clearance.
And If it is possible how can I select surge portection?

Best regards,

James Yoo
Safety Engineer of Household Appliance.