Just remember to burn off the lighter fuel first. Do that
outside. You may also have to file down any burrs in the outer
tube, too. Sparks will take the shortest distance they can find
to discharge.

Scrape off some paint from the outer tube to attach a ground
return wire. Solder it in place if you can.

I used one of these barbeque lighters last year for a sixth
grade science project to show that sparks generate broadband
radio waves.

----------------------------    /\
----------------------------

----------
> From: Lacey,Scott <sla...@foxboro.com>
> To: 'carlos.perk...@eu.effem.com'
> Cc: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'
> Subject: RE: Piezo lighters
> Date: Thursday, December 16, 1999 08:18 AM
>

> Carlos,
>
> I am assuming that you want to know the maximum possible
developed voltage,
> rather than the voltage just prior to arcing. I would use an
oscilloscope
> (preferably
> digital) and a high-voltage oscilloscope probe (100:1). I
expect that you
> will see in
> the range of 6 to 8 kV. You must widen or eliminate the spark
gap in order
> to see
> the maximum voltage. Your best bet would be to hacksaw the
outer tube until
> you
> can access the center electrode. An ignitor for a propane
barbecue grill is