Hi Jim,

This thread takes me 'back to the eighties' (when I first entered the c-a
field and was working with UL 478: You are correct with your comments
regarding the perceived flammability of line filter caps.

The scenerio is/was that live parts are required to be "enclosed" (in the
US, per the NEC and ANSI/UL standards).  All can agree to that, I believe.
X-caps were (are still?) available both with a flame-rated potting
compound and without.  Those not meeting requisite flame-ratings for
polymeric enclosures were required to be "enclosed" (which could be
accomodated by properly flame-rate barriers, potting, or the outer
"enclosure" of the device in which they were contained).

Also, since standards allow the filter-caps to be wired-in prior to the
switch and fuse/s, they are continually "at risk" for equipment that is
plugged-in all the time.

Regards, Art Michael

Int'l Product Safety News
A.E. Michael, Editor