Several members of this list have contacted me asking how to
recover damaged files from the "unzipped_files.exe" virus.
Here's how I did it.

I had Norton Utilities running on my PC at the time of the
virus. Norton creates an additional recycle bin called the
protected bin.

Open the Norton Utilities integrator then open the Unerase
wizard. You'll get three choices. Select "Find all protected
files on local drives." Norton will need a few seconds to find
the files. Then you get a list of all the protected files.
Select your files and click Recover. Windows will ask you if you
want to overwrite the file with 0 bytes with the protected file.
Click "Yes."

I sometimes got an error box saying "Unable to continue because
another application has been writing to volume. You may want to
close other programs and retry this operation." Just hit "Retry"
and your file will be recoverd. Or, close all other windows apps
and you won't get the error message.

If you didn't have Norton installed on your system when the
virus struck, then you may or may not be able to recover your
files. I'm not sure. If someone installs Norton and tries to
recover the files, please let me know if you were successful or
not.

So what did I learn from spending most of a day trying to figure
out how to recover?

* Back up your files. At the very least, make copies of you Word
and Excel files in ZIP format. I keep archived files in zip
format and they were not damaged.
* IT people are rather useless. They had me uninstall and
reinstall MS Office 97, which did nothing.
* Never operate a PC without Norton Utilities. I use it both at
home and at work.
* Use a mail client by someone other than Microsoft. Most of
these e-mail based viruses use VBA code to do their dmaage or to
find new addresses. In fact avoid Microsoft wherever possible.
Heck, run Wordperfect. That's what I do at home.

Now, back to your local EMC discussion.