All,

If a regulation changes during the life of the product, a re-test and change
to the DoC might well be in order, regardless of who signed the original, or
when.

As an example - EN 50082-1:1992 is the old generic immunity standard for
everything except heavy industrial equipment under the EMC Directive.  It is
being replaced by two standards on July 1, 2001.  These are EN 50082-1:1997
and EN 55024:1998.  EN 50082-1:1997 is the new generic standard and EN
55024:1998 is the new ITE specific immunity standard (based on CISPR 24).
For ITE equipment, EN 55024 will apply as it is the product specific
standard.

Now, suppose that your company has a product that was tested to EN
50082-1:1992 and a DoC was issued and signed listing that standard (among
others).  Come July 1, 2001 that DoC will be invalid and you may no longer
import that product into the EU unless you have re-tested the product to EN
55024:1998.  When you do that, a new DoC will be required, regardless of who
signed the original DoC.

The bottom line is - changing regulations don't really enter into the
discussion of whether a new signature on an existing DoC is needed when the
"stuckee" changes.  They will force a re-test and a new DoC in and of
themselves, regardless of whose signature appears on them.  That's what the
term "Date of Withdrawal", or DOW, means on a new standard.  It's the date
on which the old standard is no longer presumed to show compliance with the
applicable directive.  Some time before that date a product tested to the
old standard will have to be re-tested - period.  When it is, a new DoC is
issued and signed by the current person.

Would I recommend issuing a new batch of DOCs just because a new person is
signing them?  No.  Of course, in our business, products change so fast, and
last such a short period of time on the market, that the whole discussion is
academic.

Ghery S. Pettit, NCE
Corporate EMC Engineer
Corporate Product Regulations
Intel Corporation
ghery.pet...@intel.com

-->  Of course, the usual disclaimer about the opinions expressed being my
own and not necessarily those of my employer applies.