-------------------
From: “Bailin Ma” <b...@anritsu.com>, on 11/10/99 4:09 PM:

Hi Harry,

You said that STRIFE is HP's HALT. Actually there's a slight difference between
HALT and STRIFE in my understanding.

Please allow me to review three different limits before discussing the
difference between HALT and STRIFE: (1) Specs limit,  (2) Operating limit, and
(3) Destruction limit. Let's take a printer for example. Assuming the operating
temperature range of 0 to 50 C degree has been specified in your user's manual.
But your printer still works well when raising the environment temperature from
50 all the way to 80 C degree. Then the printer couldn't work from 80 to 110 C
degree. But it would go back to normal when reducing the environment
temperature to the range of 0 to 50 C. After 110 C degree the printer would be
permanently damaged and could not go back to normal any more. Now we may say
that
Specs limit = 50 C, Operating limit = 80 C, and Destruction limit = 110 C.

In typical STRIFE, people test the printer over 50, then 80, and then usually
stop somewhere between 80 to 110. In HALT, however, people won't stop until
after 110. They have to know where both Operating limit and Destruction limit
are.

In conclusion, STRIFE is a subset of HALT. They are not the same thing

Best Regards,
Barry Ma
Anritsu Company
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
www.anritsu.com

P.S.
I usually heard of HASS (Highly Accelerated Stress Screening) and HALT (Highly
Accelerated Life Test). Is HASA in your Email below the same as HASS, or you
just misspelled it?

---------- Original Text ----------

From: "McLean, Harry" <harry.mcl...@attws.com>, on 11/9/99 1:47 PM:

At HP, we used a dedicated test platform on Unix for driving our printers in
HASA as well as in STRIFE (HP's HALT).  This worked well but required that a
dedicated (contract) programmer be allocated every time a new printer was
designed.  This was a very high volume environment and a new printer was
developed about every three months.

At AT&T we use LabView as the test platform to access on board diags.  This si
VERY time consuming and at least two individuals are writing LV full time.  The
results are just as good as the HP results.  Our volumes to date are moderate
and should reach very high volume early in 2K.  We average a HALT every three
weeks.

I have run a very large number of HALTs in which data acquisition was done
manually.  The results were just as good as the two cases above but this does
require one to pay close attention and to be accurate in data reading and
writing.

As you can see all three methods work well it just depends on how you want to
get there.  I understand that QualMark is offering test development as a
business to support HALT.  You may want to contact Ann Marie (I've included her
on the distribution list).  Her phone is (303) 254-8800.