> Is anyone aware of any requirements anywhere in the world stating that a
device
> that is considered a "transport mechanism" must have a red kill switch or
button
> on the unit......Does the Machinery Directive have such a requirement??

Martin,

If you consider your device a "transport mechanism" you should probably
check the machinery directive.  It defines machinery as:

"- an assembly of linked parts or components, at least one of which moves,
with the appropriate actuators, control and power circuits, etc., joined
together for a specific application, in particular for the processing,
treatment, moving or packaging of a material
- an assembly of machines which, in order to achieve the same end, are
arranged and controlled so that they function
as an integral whole,
- interchangeable equipment modifying the function of a machine, which is
placed on the market for the purpose of
being assembled with a machine or a series of different machines or with a
tractor by the operator himself in so far
as this equipment is not a spare part or a tool;"

The "Machinery Directive" does require an Emergency stop ("kill switch") for
most machines.

Article 1 of the "Machinery Directive":
"1.2.4. Stopping device
Emergency stop
Each machine must be fitted with one or more emergency stop devices to
enable actual or impending danger to be
averted. The following exceptions apply:
- machines in which an emergency stop device would not lessen the risk,
either because it would not reduce the
stopping time or because it would not enable the special measures required
to deal with the risk to be taken,
- hand-held portable machines and hand-guided machines.
This device must:
- have clearly identifiable, clearly visible and quickly accessible
controls,
- stop the dangerous process as quickly as possible, without creating
additional hazards,
- where necessary, trigger or permit the triggering of certain safeguard
movements."

"Clearly identifiable" in the case of an emergency stop control actuator
would generally mean a RED, MUSHROOM or PALM actuator, with a YELLOW
background (around the actuator).
You can refer to IEC 60204-1 for these and other general requirements
regarding emergency stops.

Regards,

Matt