Hi Kevin:

>   Interesting P.S. comment. Surely this can only be so if one is not dealing
>   with a CE country. I don't see how a test agency can waive the requirements
>   for meeting the LVD in Europe. If it is indeed as you say, then where does
>   it put those of us who have in house safety testing and self certify.

I'm not sure that EN 50116 is a EU-adopted standard.
If true, its use is at the discretion of the
certification house.  Or the manufacturer.

The implication of your question is that ALL products
bearing the CE (for safety) mark must be tested at 25
amps for 1 minute (or the lesser current).  In either
case, the 1-minute is onerous -- even prohibitive --
for high-volume production (i.e., where production
approaches or exceeds 1/minute).

We have a number of CB Certifications by non-Euro
certification houses.  None of these certification
houses impose EN 50116.  We DON'T perform a 1-minute
test, nor do we perform a high-current test.

Perhaps another of our subscribers can comment on the
status of EN 50116 with respect to the EU.

Best regards,
Rich