Leslie Bai wrote: ESD test is to verify the EUT immunity due to induced
current (nonsense!). The current can be induced by conducted coupling
(direct contact) or/and radiated coupling. My understanding of the test is
that for contact discharge, conduct coupling is dominate and for
air-discharge, radiated coupling is dominate.
Thus for contactt discharge, if you can pass the higher level, you may not
have much problem with lower levels, but although radiated coupling is not
dominate for contact discharge, the effects have to be verified through
testing.
For air-discharge, ESD test is to verify the effects of electromagnetic
field on the EUT - i.e. a kind of field immunity test. Different levels will
have a different field distribution around the EUT due to the different
dV/dt - Maxwell told us.
Thus, the induced current is (mainly) generated
by the electromagnetic field.
I tested one Fire Alarm system years ago. This system has 128 ports all
connected with (at least 5m) twisted wires. I noticed that the cable layout
can affect result (pass or fail) significantly when doing air-discharge.
However, there is no noticable difference by varying cable layout when doing
contact discharge.
That was my understanding comes from.
Rgds,
Leslie

Leslie:

I differ from this theory of radiated coupling in air discharges. There will
be air discharge if the creepage/clearance is less (than say 7mm for 8kV)
such that the disturbance voltage just arcs over, if there is a path.

The discharge current flows then via the shortest path, corrupting
everything in the way, if it is not immune. We note that the Immunity noise
threshold for most ICs is less than a couple of volts.

The easiest way we employ to fix air discharge problems is by artificially
increasing the creepage by adding plastic foil or increasing spacing.

Schaffner has different probes, "loop types", which are more suited for
radiative coupling (near field types) as you suggest, but we use them for
pre-compliance purposes only. These are the truly "radiative coupling
types". They are a poor man's friend for MIL STD 461/462 CS06 (in air!!), or
CS115/CS116/ RS02 pre compliance.

I cannot comment on your Fire Alarm system though, but I would hazard a
guess and attribute it to HCP or capacitive coupling via unshielded cables
spaced off the metal test sheet (the GRP).

Regards

Arun Kaore
EMC Engineer

ADI Limited