-----Original Message-----
From:   JENKINS, JEFF [SMTP:jeff.jenk...@aei.com]
Sent:   Thursday, August 12, 1999 3:09 PM
To:     'emc-p...@ieee.org'
Subject:        NEMA 4 cabinet questions

Some questions about using a NEMA 4 cabinet:

(1) Is the environment inside the cabinet considered pollution degree 1, no
matter what the external environment is?

I believe Pollution Degree 1 is intended for potted or encapsulated parts

(2) We need to install a water drain at the bottom of the cabinet.  Can we
use a positive-acting valve without violating the cabinet's NEMA 4 rating?

As long as it meets the requirements in UL 50 or the equivalent NEMA
standard

(3) The cabinet doors will need to be opened periodically for maintenance.
How does this affect the pollution degree inside the cabinet?

If dust or other pollution is present when the doors are open, I suspect
Pollution Degree 3 would apply

By the way, these questions are in the context of certifying the product
under the CB 950 scheme.

You may want to concentrate on an IEC 60529 IP rating for international
use.  The Certification Body should be able to advise you of any specific
country deviations.

Thanks,

Jeff Jenkins
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.