Hello Roger,

The present IEC numbering scheme was adopted on 1/1/97 at the
recommendation of the ISO/IEC Joint Technical Advisory Board.

And, in case you were wondering; the purpose was to harmonize the IEC
numbering scheme with the European Norms numbering scheme (in which the
number 60000 was added to the IEC Standard Number by CENELEC).

ISO standards are numbered from 1 to 59999; IEC standards are numbered
from 60000 to 79999 (and, I believe the 60000 series is reserved for
electical standards).

Regards, Art Michael, Editor - Int'l Product Safety News

                *   International Product Safety Bookshop   *
                *      Check out our current offerings!     *
                *   Save 25% on the '99 EMC Encyclopedia    *
                *          for a limited time               *
                * <http://www.safetylink.com/bookshop.html> *
                *     Another service of the Safety Link    *
                *          <www.safetylink.com>             *