Paul,
Thank you for your observation. The situation in many sectors is as you
say. There are exceptions and the requirements are stated to cover those
times when there is a lag between declaring the product compliant and
taking it to market.
The other reason why you should not mix the use of 'dates and digits' is
more pragmatic. If you do not separately identify the last two digits
then you are in breach of the requirements of the Directive. This then
means that you could be prosecuted, although, it is unlikely that much
of a case could be made out of this. The enforcement person could,
however, use this to start an investigation into your other
documentation and ultimately your equipment on the basis of 'reasonable
doubt'. This then involves a significant amount of activity and in most
cases cost. The enforcement officer could, as a precautionary measure,
prevent all shipments of your products to Europe until the issues is
resolved.
My experience working for many enforcement agencies in the UK is that
this is a people business. The career prospects for junior Trading
Standards and Health and Safety Executive officers only improve if they
can demonstrate a keen interest in obtaining cautions or prosecutions.
The advice that I have always passed on, and which I received from a
senior Trading Standards Officer, is never invite investigation unless
you have a reason to do so.