In the past I have had my problems with UL and lasers.

The FDA does not measure laser energy. The CDRH (part of the FDA) collects
reports of laser products from manufacturers. These reports are 25 pages
long and filled with technical information about the product. There are
usually a significant number of attachments to each report. The CDRH
reviews these reports. If there are questions about completeness or
accuracy, the CDRH will ask for further information. If they have no
questions about the submitted data, the report is simply filed for future
use. Each report is assigned an ACCESSION number. Also, CDRH does not
evaluate laser systems or laser product with an eye toward "product
safety" of the EN 60950 type, they only look at laser light issues.

My question is, has UL added standards or other expertise that they can
use to evaluate lasers, laser safety and accuracy of the CDRH reports?
That was my question a decade ago and I see it comes to light once again.

BTW, obtaining CDRH reports for any given laser product or laser system is
best done by contacting the manufacturer. They are interested in selling
their products and if that is a condition of the sale, they will usually
comply. However, don't expect to get these reports on laser diodes as a
component, only on laser systems or laser products.

Scott
s_doug...@ecrm.com