From: Muriel Bittencourt de Liz [mailto:mur...@grucad.ufsc.br]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2000 11:33 AM
To: Lista de EMC da IEEE
Subject: conducted emissions test setup

Hello Group,

Reading CISPR 16 and CISPR 22, I had some doubts about the correct setup
for doing conducted emissions testing. I'd like to know if someone can
put a light on this subject.

My questions are:

- The "ground plane" is really needed? [Yes]If I don't use one, my results
will be wrong? [This is more an issue of repeatability of results]Or without
a ground plane I'll be testing for the "worse [Potentially, more like a
crap-shoot]
conditions"??

- The ground plane can be made of any metal? Or there are specified
ones? [I've used a solid copper sheet or screen. Also used galvanized sheet
metal or hardware cloth]

- The ground plane must be bonded to the GND connector of my mains? (my
outlet is three pins: P, N and GND)[Mains ground can be used, but be sure
it's a good, low impedance path to true gnd.]

- If I understood, the ground plane will be my "reference ground",
right? [Ideally, Yes]

- My testing equipment (receiver+LISN) must be bonded to this same
ground plane? [Ideally, Yes] The ground plane is bonded to the ground
connector of my
mains? [Yes.. if this is your only "proven" available grounding point].

- I use a PC to collect the test data. Can it be feeded by the same
circuit that feeds the EUT+LISN? The ground connector of the PC (the one
that's in the three pin plug) should be at the same ground than the
ground plane? [Typically, You would want to use a separate feed for the PC.
If you have a second LISN use it to feed your PC and or support equipment].

Thanks in advance and Regards!

Muriel

--
Muriel Bittencourt de Liz, M.Sc. - EMC Engineer