Hi Brian.

I'd agree with the gist of Oscar's comments. To paraphrase Scott Adams (creator of Dilbert) - everyone is an idiot for at least part of each day.

I'd also like to add though, that even if the people you expect to have fitting the components are technically competent, I'd say there's still a pretty good chance that occasionally one of these people will act without thinking or slip and bump or touch something they shouldn't. So at the very least, I'd advise trying to ensure that not only after the assembly process, but also during the assembly process you take steps to protect them from any potential safety hazards.

In some cases all you can reasonably do is provide adequate warnings (like turn the damn power off before you install the new component in the machine), but often a little thought about this sort of thing during the design can make components safer to install and use.

Although you have to consider the commercial aspects of added costs, remember that the person who's fingers or eyes or life you save might turn out to be someone important to you.

Regards,
Pete.