Lothar,

The FCC uses an unusual splitting of hairs regarding "categorically
excluded".  This means you are not required to do the SAR measurement or
analysis; but, you must still prove compliance by methods such as
identifying the radiated power and establishing the separation distance of
John Q Public from the radiating element.  The requirements vary according
to whether the product is fixed external (e.g. roof mounted), fixed internal
(inside a facility where persons are likely to be in proximity), mobile
(antenna separate from electronics), or portable (i.e., in intimate contact
with the body).

These differences are crucial in determining whether one can apply MPE
formulas or whether SAR needs to be addressed.

There must be a "magic" threshold" as TCBs are allowed to approve some
devices (I would interpret that to mean "no exposure risk") but not others.
TCBs are allowed to approve devices that meet certain requirements such as
power output threshold and radiator set backs for 15.247, but I do not have
the URL on which  the TCB rules list is located.  I assume that the ISM band
must have something similar.

Curtis-Strauss is well versed in TCB issues.  I would suspect that they
would have  knowledge of the limitations if any TCB did.  If you wish to go
straight to the source for exposure issues, that would be a Mr. Kwok Chan at
the FCC.

I know this did not answer your question directly, but I hope it helped.

Don Umbdenstock