From: Paolo Roncone [mailto:paolo.ronc...@compuprint.it]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 2:39 AM
To: 'Rich Nute'
Cc: 'emc-p...@ieee.org'
Subject: R: R: Voltage Breakdown

Hi Rich:

thanks for your reply. Now I regret to say that I am a bit confused.
Based on what you say I don't understand why in dry weather you have more
chances of high voltage ESD than in humid weather. As I said this is a
common experience that anyone can confirm.
I thought the explanation is that dry air has higher dielectric strength so
higher electrostatic fields need to build up before a discharge.
Another point suggesting the dependence from humidity is that the ESD
standard EN 61000-4-2 specifies relative humidity among ambient conditions
to control during ESD tests.

Regards,

Paolo