Mike,

Doesn't sound that strange to me. To help answer your question I looked at
several UL Follow-Up Service Procedures that we have here in the plant for
various types of Information Technology Equipment. This equipment has input
voltages of 100-240VAC. UL has a table in the FUS that specifies the
voltages and times for Hipot tests. The table for Class 1 equipment
(Non-Double Insulated) has the following specifications:

Rated 60 VDC or less: 500 VAC or 700 VDC for 1 second.
Rated less than or equal to 130 VAC (184 VDC): 1000 VAC or 1400 VDC for 1
second.
Rated more than 130 VAC (184 VDC) and less than or equal to 600 VAC (849
VDC): 1500 VAC or 2100 VDC for 1 second.

It does seem strange that they would want him to run the tests for 1 minute
as opposed to 1 second. I would go with the slightly higher voltages for 1
second to save time.

I believe that the 2 times the (maximum) rated input voltage plus 1000 VAC
is what is typically used for type testing, although I believe I have also
heard this used for production line testing. This is also found in the
booklet by Associated Research titled "A Basic Guide to Electrical Product
Safety Testing" in the section on Hipot testing. Quoted directly from the
booklet: "Test voltages are seldom less than 1000V, and for some products
intended to operate at voltages between 100V and 240V, the test voltage can
exceed 4000 volts (usually double insulated products). A rule of thumb that
most safety agencies use to determine the appropriate test voltage is to
multiply the DUT's normal operating voltage by two and add 1000V." By the
way I strongly recommend this free booklet from Associated Research. It has
a lot of good information in it.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Kurt Andrews
Compliance Engineer

Tracewell Systems, Inc.
567 Enterprise Drive