Muriel,

I applaud your tenacity in trying to achieve an understanding of the
common-mode current mechanism.

"Common-mode" currents in printed circuit board structures are usually the
result of an asymmetry.  These asymmetries do not appear in circuit
schematic diagrams, so they can be difficult to simulate.  These asymmetries
are usually directly related to geometrical features of the circuit, PCB
and/or chassis.

References to assist your understanding are:

1.      J.L. Drewniak, T. Hubing, and T. Van Doren, "Investigation of
Fundamental Mechanisms of Common-Mode Radiation from Printed Circuit Boards
with Attached Cables,"  1994 IEEE EMC Symposium Record, pp. 110-115.

2.      There is a more recent and complete article in the IEEE transactions
on EMC , but I do not have the complete reference citation.  The title is
probably the same as seen above, but the principal author is D. Hockanson
and the article is more recent than 1996.  (If you are truly interested, I
can give you Hockanson's e-mail address offline and you can get the correct
reference citation from him.)

These articles describe the fundamental mechanisms formed by geometrical
asymmetries in PCB circuits that can cause "commom-mode" radiation.

Other articles appear in the IEEE EMC Symposium Records by F. Leferink.
Leferink's articles may be more difficult to read and do not always
corroborate the findings of the above two references.  I recommend you start
with the two above and read Leferink's afterward.

 Jim Knighten
Dr. Jim Knighten                e-mail: jim.knigh...@ncr.com
<jim.knigh...@ncr.com>
Technical Consultant - Design