After reading John's reply to "The wisdom behind all these standards", I
then read a colleague's question regarding UL 544 and leakage current.   He
mentioned a 50uA leakage current limit for cardiac tissue.   I want to use
this as an example of the wisdom behind all these standards.

At some point in time, somebody performed an experiment to determine how
much leakage current is safe for cardiac tissue.  This was then incorporated
into the CSA standard.  From that point on, people don't need to re-invent
this wheel when they make medical equipment.  (I for one don't want to be
the guinea pig for more cardiac tissue leakage current testing!)   The
safety standards from IEC, UL, CSA ... are loaded with little tidbits of
information that can prevent customers from getting injured or even killed.
The EMC standards set limits that minimize potential problems of
interference and equipment failures due to Electro-Magnetic effects.

Many people look at compliance as a money drain.  However, take a look at
this example.   How much would it cost a medical manufacturer to determine a
safe cardiac tissue leakage current?  How would they get permission to
perform the testing?  Who would they use for the guinea pigs?  Would people
get injured during the experimentation?   They should thank God that the
standard is already there.  All they need to do is look it up.  By using,
contributing to and updating these standards; we raise everybody's quality
of life by supporting the technology that makes safer, higher quality
products.

There is the wisdom.

That is why it is worthwhile to meet the standards.  We may have differing
opinions regarding where the limits should be set in the standards.  But, as
long as the standards are there, we have a starting point for the
negotiation.

If you eliminate the confusion of, "which standard to meet for which
country?"  Then the utility of safety and EMC standards become much more
apparant.  There is a great deal of overlap among standards from different
countries.  That's why, in my opinion, a single set of worldwide standards
would be an ideal that we should always support and reach for.

The wisdom is there, the implementation needs work.