In the introduction to IEC60950 it says:

"It is essential that designers understand the underlying principles of safety
requirements in order that they can engineer safe equipment.

The following is not an alternative to the detailed requirements of this
standard, but is intended to provide designers with an appreciation of the
principles on which these requirements are based. . . .

Application of this standard is intended to prevent injury or damage due to the
following hazards:
     Electric shock
     Energy hazards
     Fire
     Mechanical and heat hazards
     Radiation hazards
     Chemical Hazards . . .

It is assumed that service personnel will be reasonably careful in dealing with
obvious hazards, but the design should protect against mishap . . . . More
important, service personnel should be protected against unexpected hazards.

Mechanical and heat hazards . . . and to avoid the presence of sharp edges and
points; . . . "

What we decide, individually, is based on two factors.

1.  Does it meet the standard?  (Will a CB or third party approve it?)
2.  Is it safe anyway? (Would I be willing to let my best friend use it? Can I
sleep at night?)

Do we want to produce products that are equivalent to what we see in the market
place (What can I get away with?), that meet the standard, or are as safe as we
can economically make them?

I believe that the standards are only mandatory MINIMUM guidelines based on
experience (Oops, we shouldn't let that happen again!).
The real safety comes by actually looking at our products and taking the
necessary design actions to prevent injury or damage regardless of what the
standards say.  That comes from company standards and policies.  These are the
companies that design safe products as compared to compliant products.

The difficulty comes with what you are struggling to find out.  How do we
objectively state to an unknown vendor what we are looking to achieve?
Standards are the best way, but what about those times where a standard doesn't
really exist? (Like in your case.)

I guess that is why they pay us the big bucks ; )

Please excuse the preaching but I come from a background where we had more
hazards than standards to deal with them.

Oscar

.

---------------------- Forwarded by Oscar Overton/Lex/Lexmark on 03/21/2000

pmerguerian%itl.co...@interlock.lexmark.com on 03/21/2000 03:17:33 AM