A long time ago, while I was a member of Uncle Sams Canoe Club, I worked on
a radar system that used D.I. Water.  The tubes in the liquid cooler were
copper and the heat exchanger was CRES.  The water was circulated
throughout the transmitter group and through a Klystron where it was heated
and back to the cooler.  Water temp during normal operation was just over
160 degrees F., as I recall.  Every three months we had to run a descaler
solution through the system.  During periods of high operation (transmitter
up and running while at sea), we got more green sludge out of the pipes
than we got out during periods of in-port operation (transmitter shut off
and water temp around 60 degrees F.).

Therefore, at least in my experience, Higher temperature operation does
impact the use of copper pipes.  Other items of note.  The liquid cooler
also had a micron filter to trap impurities and a conductivity meter to
test the conductivity of the water.  A glycol solution was also added.

Hello group,

I have a product that uses cooling water and at one point within the system
the water is energized to a high voltage level.  There are several
mechanisms used to insure that the water is safe before exiting the system.
I would like to be able to use De-Ionized or Triple Distilled water for
insulation as this would simplify the design.  In this design there would
be
full time monitoring of the quality of the water.  One problem is that DI
water causes corrosion of copper pipes unless the inner surfaces of the
pipes are plated with some other material, or so I have heard . . .

Recently there have been some fairly convincing arguments that this is not
problem, for water at lower temperatures (<100 deg C).  These arguments are
based on an ASTM Publication now out of print, "Symposium on High-Purity
Water Corrosion" presented at the annual meeting of the ASTM in 1955.  I
believe this presentation was mostly concerned with cooling water in
nuclear
reactors and very high water temperatures.  As a result of this, I am now
confused as to who is right.  Is anyone able to provide some insight into
this?

-doug

Douglas E. Powell
Regulatory Compliance Engineer