Amund,

Since I transferred, over more than 20 years ago, from Quality Assurance to
Regulatory compliance/product safety, I will share with you my opinions and my
experience.   However, I would also be interested in hearing about the
experience of others.

In my opinion, QA and regulatory compliance are different enough functions that
require different experiences and disciplines that would not necessarily make
it effective for a QA organization to either write or enforce procedures on the
regulatory compliance functions.  That does not mean that regulatory compliance
shouldn't have a more formal process and a procedure to go with it.   For
myself, I know that having a QA background made me a more effective regulatory
"guru" at the company.  But I don't see how the two can be meshed under the
same umbrella without diluting one or the other.  Both require focus but it
would be a rare Janus that could manage this effectively.

However, the regulatory processes could, and should, be integrated into the
whole engineering design process;-- and so should the QA process.   Thus, the
two can and should help each other, but I just don't see that a QA oversight by
itself would make the regulatory process better or more effective.

Now, I have a problem with your statement  "...have your companies made
procedures which in details describes the product approval process from
beginning to end ?"   You are quite right that any procedure should describe a
process in detail from beginning to end.   This lends itself quite well to any
and all test procedures, assembly of various parts, and other such functions
where the same process is repeated over and over again.   However, with the
regulatory approval process, each product is different enough, that a
procedure, especially one that is "detailed", would not work.   And the
approval process is not always "from the beginning to end" but very often just
a test or two have to be repeated, but not all, and sometimes you just notify
the authorities about this and that, and sometimes you don't, but only document
it or write up a justification why a particular test is not required.   So how
do you write a procedure around this?   If I had to religiously do all this, I
would be writing a procedure practically every time I was submitting a new or
providing changes to a product.   And I sure as heck would have been very upset
if someone else (say from QA) were writing these "procedures" for me,
especially since they wouldn't know what was required, or how to achieve this.

A procedure describes "how" something is done.   If I don't know how to do it,
I shouldn't be working in that position.   If the QA person is writing such a
procedure (and assuming they are effective at it, which is problematic) then
they should be working in that position and not me.

Thus, I am not in favor of "procedures".   However, I am very much in favor of
regulatory compliance plans that should be written for each new product, or a
major regulatory up-date to a product.   This compliance plan is really a
communication device that informs Marketing, Engineering, QA, etc., the
regulatory strategy: what the requirements are for this particular product, for
which countries, to which standards, where the various tests will be performed,
the approximate time assuming only one sample is available, and so forth.   I
am in favor, when a later update is made to the same product, to add an
addendum to the same plan rather than generate a brand new plan.   This way you
can only add the delta tests that have to be done rather than start from
scratch.   And you have a history of the compliant process in one convenient
location.

Note that a compliance plan describes "what" is to be done and sometimes "why",
if that is crucial, but it does not really go into the details of the "how".
I don't want to start writing "how" I thermocouple the various components to
get the product ready for safety heating tests!  That, I consider, is part of
training;--  and I have trained many to do this, all without benefit of writing
any "procedures."   However, I do insist (and I believe that all companies also
do this) that there is a Hi-pot test procedure available (and I usually review
it), and that designated personnel are properly trained on how to run these
tests, whether this function is under the QA or manufacturing test umbrella.

Thus, I consider that the regulatory functions (safety, EMC, telco, Bellcore,
etc.) should be part of the overall design process, to the release to
manufacturing production, and finally, to the eventual "death" of the product.
Note that this product life cycle procedure is for the overall product process,
and not just for the regulatory approval process alone.    It is desirable that
the design process be documented, probably under a series of procedures, and,
therefore, the regulatory requirements be inserted in the appropriate sections.
  However, no way are they "detailed" at that point or describe "how" the job
is to be done.

For that, we need trained and experienced people.

taniagr...@msn.com