I read in !emc-pstc that Chris Chileshe <chris.chile...@ultronics.co.uk>
wrote (in <01c16de4.bf0918a0.chris.chile...@ultronics.co.uk>) about
'Components connected to PE', on Thu, 15 Nov 2001:
>I have one of those scenarios where EMC meets product safety.
>For the purpose of RFI, I have a requirement to connect RF bypass
>capacitors from the input lines of a Low voltage DC (30V max, SELV)
>piece of equipment to PE. As I recall when I worked in ac voltage
>converters, we used to connect Y-rated capacitors between phase
>and PE.
>
>Is it still a requirement that I need a Y-rated capacitor for this LV product
>or can I get away with a much smaller capacitor with a varistor in parallel?

The answer depend on what over-voltage transients you expect on your 30
V supply. SELV circuits are usually assumed to have very low transients
unless the contrary is known to be the case (e.g. if there are lots of
inductive loads present).

If the transients are limited in amplitude to 300 V, for example, you
can use ordinary capacitors rated at over 300 V because they will
survive the transients. It would not be a good idea to use varistors to
limit the transients, though, because they fail to short-circuit, and an
SELV circuit must not be earthed. Of course, there may be no reason why
you can't change your SELV circuit to PELV (= SELV but with one pole
earthed).
Eat mink and be dreary!