Hi Chris:

I'll attempt to answer the question as to the effect of
ac and dc current on the body (the "hazard").

The discussion is in regard to three waveforms:

    1)  ac sinusoidal -- 50-60 Hz.
    2)  dc
    3)  dc interrupted (equal on and off times) up to 200 Hz.

Each has a different effect on the body.

For each waveform, the magnitudes of voltage and current
at which the effect takes place are different.

The body is most sensitive to ac, where the current
reverses through the body.  Such currents can cause both
tetanus of various muscles, and fibrillation of the heart.

Dc does not cause either tetanus or fibrillation.  Dc
with ripple or superimposed ac is still dc because the
current does not reverse direction.  From my reading of
research papers, there is no significant effect on the
body due to ac riding on a dc bias provided the current
does not change direction.

Interrupted dc (50% duty cycle, 0 mA off, up to 200 Hz)
is surmised to have similar effect to that of ac.  I
believe that UL modeled this, and came to the conclusion
that such interruption could cause fibrillation.  (I
don't believe any tests on animals or people were
actually performed.)  Hence, the limitation on voltage
for such waveforms.

Most of the research on live humans (grad students) was
performed by Charles Dalziel, UC Berkeley, during the
late 40's and early 50's.  Dalziel published numerous
papers on his tests, most in IRE and AIEE journals.

Dalziel gave us the tetanus values for ac, and determined
there was no tetanus for dc.  Dalziel also gave us the
effect of frequency on humans.

During the 30's, 40's and 50's, UL also did some
measurements on live humans (UL employees) to determine
body impedance.

Most recently, Beigelmeier (Vienna) has measured himself.
His research is the basis for much of the data in IEC
60479, effects of current on the human body.

Almost all other research was either on live (anesthesized)
animals or on cadavers.

When discussing waveforms that are beyond the research,
we must identify the injury we wish to prevent.  If we
are considering 40 V dc which has an on/off period of 1
second, then the person can disconnect himself from the
source during the 0.5-second off period.  So, this would
be the same as a steady-state 40 V dc source which is
deemed non-hazardous.

Best regards,
Rich

ps:  Charles Dalziel is the inventor of the GFCI.