Group:

We are currently in the process of a new table top type product design which
will be powered via an external internationally certified DC supply.

I have been asked to determine what compliance standards will have to be
applied to ensure that the product meets regulator compliance requirements.

The appropriate EMC standards are quite straight forward but I am having
more difficult nailing down product safety requirements.

The product being supplied via an external low voltage ( <20V DC @ 6A )
appears to technically fall outside the scope of both the European LVD
directive and North American NRTL certification requirements for products
directly connected to the public mains.

The product is similar to that of a laptop computer running from an wall
mounted adapter.

Questions have been raised regarding flammability of enclosure materials
which will have a significant impact of the products cost.

Could any member of the forum who may have had to address similar situation
share there thoughts?

At this point it would appear that provided we ensure the external power
supply conforms to any applicable safety standards in which the equipment is
to be marketed that their is no legislated (hate to use this term)
requirements to safety certify the table top product.

Comments?

Donal McElheran
Product Compliance
Ross Video Ltd.